The History of Zion
It all began in September of 1883 after nearly thirty years since they had settled in the area as immigrants. A number of families came together to build a church just north of the village of Mayer. In 1901, the young congregation joined the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.
As Mayer grew, the congregation decided to build a new church within the village at its current location in 1905. The old church structure was moved and later reconstructed. It served as the first school which opened in 1912.
Zion Lutheran Church and School continues to carry out the mission of those first pioneers of Sharing Hope and Teaching Christ.